Monday, March 3, 2008

Good Parenting

Delaney and I just returned home from Kroger, where I witnessed a slightly disturbing exchange between a little boy and a store clerk. While waiting in line to pick up Ryan's dry cleaning (domestic much?) this boy and his mother were in front of me. He dropped the toy he was playing with, and when the clerk picked it up and handed it to him the reply was "Hey gimme that." His mom completely ignored the rude comment and went about her business. Not earth shattering drama, but his disrespectful attitude got me thinking about teaching my daughter good manners. I don't want her just to be able to recite "please" and "thank you" when appropriate, she should develop the heart to really feel appreciative and mean those words.

This seems like a daunting task, raising an empathetic, caring child. There are certainly numerous messages directed at children that promote a more selfish attitude. But if Ryan and I can model such characteristics and surround her with others who do the same, we stand a good chance of hearing those magic words. I didn't mention before that while the little boy was being a stinker, his mom was on a rant of her own. Maybe all kids need is a good example!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about kids and parents in the library? Parents: In the library if your child says, "Can we go look at the books?" show a little enthusiasm for a child who craves knowledge. Under no circumstances should you say, "Wouldn't you rather watch a movie?" AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!! Doesn't it just make you want to shake them???

Karen said...

Very insightful post Briana. Based on my current job (2 weeks to go woohoo...), I have come to the conclusion that I dislike bratty little children.

On a side note, when will you start a blog Fran? :)

Anonymous said...

I know, right? With the new house, new job and everything coming up, it would be pretty useful. Hmmmm ... what would I call it?

Anonymous said...

I don't like bratty children either. I try so hard to make sure mine say please and thank you always. I hope my hard work pays off, we will see:)

Briana said...

I talk a big talk right now, hopefully my kids won't be little terrors!

Michele said...

there is this commercial out ( i cannot remember what its for) but the mom is pushing her kid around in the cart at the grocery store, and everytime the mom picks an item up the girls goes "i don't like waffles" "i don't like chicken" and whines the whole way. it irritates me like no other. what an obnoxious child.